SHIP-HOOPS is a non-profit corporation in the Federated States of Micronesia, founded in 1989, dedicated to serve the children and youth of Chuuk State in the Federated States of Micronesia. SHIP-HOOPs is currently obtaining non-profit (501c3) status from the United States Internal Revenue Service as well.
Our name, SHIP-HOOPS, is derived from two mission-drive purposes. The first, SHIP, is an acronym for the “Society for Historic Investigation and Preservation.” One of our founding purposes is promoting historic preservation, environmental protection, preserving cultural and historic knowledge to foster pride in the past as a bridge to the future. We use our historic and cultural roots to guide the SHIP-HOOPS educational program and the Akoyikoyi School with a heavy emphasis on literacy to empower young people to live healthy, productive, and satisfying lives.
HOOPS designates our second purpose, “Helping Ourselves: Outreach Programs in Sports.” We offer sports programs and healthy lifestyle education to Chuukese youth. Currently, our sports program includes:
Team Sports: Basketball, Canoe Paddling, Soccer, and Volleyball
Individual Sports: Table Tennis, Track & Field, Weightlifting, and Wrestling
SHIP/HOOPS uses traditional information and knowledge, literacy activities, and sports programs to educate, inform, and empower Chuukese children and youth. The SHIP/HOOPS’ program focuses on:
- Educating about the past as a foundation for the future;
- Providing a high quality education;
- Building self-esteem and self-worth;
- Providing opportunities to underserved children and youth;
- Ensuring a caring and nurturing environment;
- Exposing children to life possibilities;
- Ensuring a healthy and safe learning and sports environment; and
- Advocating for children and youth.